SAIL Volume I

                                                                         5. WOOL CLIPPERS

                ANTIOPE (1866-1921), 1,443 registered tons, length 243ft 3ins, beam 38ft 4ins, depth 23ft 7in. Of iron
                construction,  built by Reid, Glasow for Joseph Heap's Thames & Mersey Line. She was a large and strong
                vessel of her time.  She carried emigrants and general cargo from Liverpool to Melbourne, and often carried
                horses to Calcutta or Madras, and jute and other Indian products back to Liverpool.  In 1868, she made
                her best passage to Melbourne of 68 days.  In 1883, The Thames & Mersey Line was sold to the Beazley
                interests and her voyages became less regular. She is not listed as in the Wool Fleet by Basil  Lubbock
                between 1874-1890. She was sold in 1897 and for some years in th South American trade.  In the
                Russo-Japanese War,she was captured by the Japanese under Russian colours. The Japanese sold her to
                a firm in British Columbia for the timber trade. In 1914, when World War I started, she was in a New
                Zealand port serving as a coal hulk.  She was brought out of retirement and refurbished. In 1916, she went
                ashore in southern New Zealand was salvaged and again refurbished.  She then carried coal from
                Newcastle, N.S.W. to Chile. In 1921, the vessel caught fire in Algoa Bay, South Africa, and after some
                repairs and beecame a store ship for a sugar company in Beira, Mozambique after a career of fifty-five years.

                MERMERUS (1872-1909), 1,671 registered tons, length 264ft 2in,, beam 39ft 8in, depth 23ft 7in   
                Constructed of iron,  built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Clyde, for A. & J.H. Carmichael's Golden Fleece
                Line.  She was specially built for the wool trade and in the records of the annual sailings of the Wool
                Fleet from1873 to 1890 (in Basil Lubbock's "The Colonia Clippers") the MERMERUS was absent in
                only two years (1874/75 and 1876/77).  In her 1874/75 voyage she carried a cargo to Sydney, then
                loaded coal for San Francisco, and brought a cargo of wheat back from there.  In her 1876/77 passage
                she carried a cargo of  gun powder to Melbourne in 69 days. . On all the  other occasions she sailed
                from Melbourne with a cargo of wool and came to be regarded there as a reliable fixture in the trade.
                Her Last voyage to Melbourne was in 1897 after which she was sold to Russian owners.who kept
                her in the Australian trade. Her end came in December1909 when she went ashore in a heavy fog
                10 miles from Christian sand having left Frederikstad (Norway) with a cargo f timber for Melbourne.  
                She was badly damaged and was sold to the ship breakers..       

                LOCH ETIVE (1877-1913),  1,235 registered tons, length 226ft 9in, beam 39ft 9in, depth 21ft 6in.  Of iron
                construction, built by J.&A. Inglis, Glasgow, for Aitken, Lilburn's  General Shipping Co. (or Loch Line as it
                was commonly called). Joseph Conrad served on her as third mate and wrote about it in "Mirror of the Sea".
                She was heavily rigged to begin with but in 1904 was cut down  to a barque. She was put in the Sydney trade
                but sometimes went to Melbourne. On her first voyage she went to Calcutta for a retur cargo of jute.Her
                outward and homeward passages averaged about ninety days. From Australian ports she would return with
                wool or wheat..Between 1877 and 1890, the only year she is listed with the wool fleet was in 1882 from
                Sydney. Up to 1911, shcontinued to load cargoes to Adelaide , Melbourne and Sydney.  She was sold to
                French owners in 1911 and had disappeared from the registry in 1914..

                BRILLIANT (1877-1916), 1,613 registered tons, length 254ft 8in, beam 39ft 7in, depth 24ft 2in. Of iron
                construction built by Duthie & Co, Aberdeen, for J.Duthie, Sons & Co. She had a smart appearance with
                black sides and and with a brass bulwark rails along the length of the ship. Like all Duthie ships she was in
                the Sydney trade via the Cape of Good Hope and returning around the Horn.  The Aberdeen White Star
                clipper PERICLES was `built in the same yard alongside her and there was an intense rivalry between them.
                The latter tending to win the outward passages loaded mainly with passengers while BRILLIANT had a full
                cargo but losing on the return with BRILLIANT loaded with wool. She is listed by Basil Lubbock in "The
                Colonial Clippers" in th Wool Fleet from Sydney between 1877-1890 on five occasions - 1880-81,
                1885-86, 1887-88,   She often however loaded over 8,000 bails of wool  right up 1904-05 when she was
                sold to Italian owners and renamed NOSTRA SIGNORA DEL CARMINE.  In 1916, boundfor Genoa
                with a cargo of coal from Norfolk, Virginia,.she was surprised by a submarine and sunk in the Gulf of Lions
                after the crew had taken to the boats and towed towards land by the submarine.     

                PERICLES (1877-1923), 1,598 registered tons, length 259ft 9 in, beam 39ftm 4in, depth 25ft iin.. Constructed
                of iron by Duthie & Co, Aberdeen, for George Thompson's Aberdeen White Star Line.  She was one of the last
                passenger sailing ships built for the Australian trade. Built alongside  BRILLIANT,  she had  a 56ft long poop
                stretching beyond the mizzen mast.  In ten voyages to Sydney the average passage time was was 84 days.  After
                Sydney, in 1882 she went to Calcutta for a cargo of jute for New York, and she made several trips to San
                Francisco to pick up wheat cargoes.. In 1904, she was sold to Norwegian owners who reduced her sail plan and
                used her for carrying timber to Melbourne.. She continued her steady voyaging without incident through World
                War I with a name change to SJURSO.  She was sold to the ship breakers in 1923.

                CIMBA (1878-1916), 1,174 registered tons, length 223ft, beam 34ft 6in, depth 21ft 7in..  Of iron
                construction, built by Hood, Aberdeen, for Alexander Nichol & Co, and was designed for the
                Australian wool trade.  Her sail plan had width rather than height.  Fast in light winds she required
                careful handling in strong wind. However, she consistently ran over 300 miles in the 23 1/2 hour days
                of her eastings.  Her passages out and home were uniformly good. She made 29 voyages under
                Nichol's ownership - twenty-four to Sydney, two to Brisbane, one to Newcastle, N.S.W., one to
                Rockhampton, QLD,   In Basil Lubbock's "Colonial Clippers",  CIMBA is listed as being in the Wool
                Fleet from Sydney for every year from 1877-78 to 1889-89 except one (1882-83).. in her later years
                she was twice unable (1901 and 1903) to get a wool cargo and had to cross the Pacific to South
                America to get a cargo for the return voyage.   In 1906, with the death of her owner, she was sold to
                Norwegian owners who used her in the timber trade.  She is believed to have been wrecked in 1916.  

                LOCH TORRIDON  (1881-1915), 2000 tons burden, length 287ft 4in, beam 42ft 6in, depth 24ft.. Of
                iron construction, built by Barclay, Curle, Glasgow for Aitken, Lilburn's General Shipping Co. Rigged as
                a four masted barque.  In the mid 1870s, the need for bigger ships to handle the cargoes from San Francisco,
                Melbourne , Sydney, Chittagong and other ports led to the development of  fourmasted sailing ships.  LOCH
                TORRIDON and LOCH MOIDART were the Loch Line of Glasgow's response to this development.. Basil
                Lubbock comments that the LOCH TORRIDON  'became famous as one of the most perfect four mast
                barques ever built." Among other innovations, the sails on all three masts were intercahangeable.  In early
                voyages, she carried horses from Melbourne to Calcutta., In subsequent voyages she went to San Francisco,  
                then did five voyages from Australia with wool.  In a number of voyages from the United Kingdom her passage
                times to Melbourne were under 80 days.  She was sold to Russian owners in 1913.In January in 1915, while
                off the west coast of Ireland with a tmber cargo she was abandoned because of a leak.

                PORT JACKSON (1882-1917),  2132 registered tons, length 286ft 2in, beam 41ft 1in, depth 25ft 2in..  
                Of iron construction, built by Hall, Aberdeen for Duthie Bros. A four masted barque, she was intended for
                the Australian trade and was designed by Alexander Duthie. On her maiden voyage she reached Sydney
                from the Channel in 77 days and was the first four master to make the voyage in under 80 days..She made
                regular passages to and from Australia without incident until she caught fire in Sydney in May, 1893.  The
                fire was contained  but extensive repairs took close to six months before she loaded wool at Newcastle,
                N.S.W., and began her return journey in November 1893.  She continued her regular voyages to Australia
                until 1904 when she was laid up in the Thames for two years.  In 1906, she was purchased by Devitt &
                Moore for their cadet training scheme.  Cadets were taken on voyages over aperiod of seven years. At
                the outbreak of World War I, she was laid up at Grimsby.  She was brought back into service and carried 
                cargoes in round trips to Buenos Aires, New York and Adelaide.  Then in ballast to Buenos Aires where
                she loaded wheat toreturn to Great Britain.  In April 1917 she was sunk without warning by a submarine.
                her crew took to the boats, The mate and 14 men were rescued but the captain and 12 others were not.  

                MOUNT STEWART (1891 - 1925), 1903 registered tons, length 271ft 6in, beam 40ft 1in, depth23ft 4in.
                Of steel construction, built by Barclay, Curle, Glasgow for Carmichael's Golden Fleece Line.  She and her
                sister ship Cromdale were the last two sailing ships built specifically for the Australian wool trade. She
                survived World War I and while she could get a return cargo of wool or wheat she kept going.  In 1922/23,
                she was laid up for a year at Milford Haven. She made a last voyage from Liverpool to Sydney, then from
                Newcastle, NSW, to Iquique, Chile, from where in 1925 she went to the ship-breakers at Nantes.