SAIL VOLUME I

                                                    I. BLACKWALL PASSENGER SHIPS

                      THE TWEED (1854-1888) -1745 tons, length250ft, beam 39ft 6in, depth 25ft  Built at the Bombay
                      Dockyard of teak as  the paddle steamer PUNJAUB for the Indian Marine. She saw service as a troop
                      transport to the Crimea in 1854,  in the Persian expedition in 1855-1857,  the Indian Mutiny and the
                      Muscat-Zanzibar Commission in June 1860. In 1862, she was ordered to Britain to have her paddle
                      wheels removed and replaced by a screw.  On arrival in the Thames, the decision had been made to sell
                      her.  The PUNJAUB  was purchased by John Willis, renamed THE TWEED, converted to sail, and
                      became the flagship of the John Willis & Son fleet. She made some fast passages - in 1873, Lizard to
                      Melbourne 72 days; in 1874,  St Catherine's Point to Otago 78 days:and in 1875, Sydney to Dungeness
                      69 days. In 1888, bound for China from New York, the old ship was dismasted off Algoa Bay, South
                      Africa, and a steamer towed her into Port Elizabeth. She was not considered worth repairing and was
                      broken up.       .   

                      LA HOGUE(1855-1886), 1331tons, length 226ft, beam 35ft, depth 22ft 9in.. Built by Laing at Sunderland
                      for Duncan Dunbar.. She was a strongly built ship with frames of oak, planking, keelson, beams and decks of
                      teak  She was also the first ship in which the framing was trussed with iron bars.  She was for thirty years in the
                      passenger trade to Sydney except for one voyage in 1874 with emigrants to New Zealand.  She usually left
                      London in mid-summer or shortly after and reached Sydney in 80 to 90 days. She would leave Sydney before
                      the end of the year and sailing via the Cape of Good Hope would arrive back in the Thames by Easter. She
                      was bought by Devitt & Moore after Duncan Dunbar died in 1863. She continued in the Sydney trade as before. 
                      Her last voyage from Sydney was in 1886 after which she became a coal hulk at Madeira. .

                      COSPATRICK (11856-1874), 1,200 tons, length 190ft, beam 34ft, depth 28ft 5in.  Built for Duncan
                      Dunbar at his Moulmein yard for the Indian troopand passenger trade.  Duncan Dunbar died in
                      1862 and his fleet was sold and taken up by London owners.  The COSPATRICK continued to sail
                      from the Thames in the Indian passenger trade.  In 1873, she was sold to Shaw, Saville and joined
                      the New Zealand passenger trade.  In September, 1874, she sailed for Auckland with general cargo,
                      429 emigrants and a crew of 44.  South of the Cape of Good Hope the ship caught fire.  Only two
                      ships boats, overcrowded with 81 passengers and crew in them were able to clear the ship.  One of
                      the boats was not heard of again.  The other under  the  second mate had 39 souls aboard.  A week
                      later before being picked up by another ship there were 5 left - the second mate, three seamen and
                      one passenger. The second mate and two seamen were the only survivors.     

                      SOBRAON (1866-1891), 2,130 tons, length 272ft, beam 40ft, depth 27ft. Of composite
                      construction (iron frame planked), she was built by Alexander Hall, Aberdeen, for Lowther
                      & Maxton.  The vessel was purchased by Devitt & Moore.in 1870.  Up to 1871, she was
                      in the Sydney trade, but then transferred to the Melbourne run.  She made one voyage a year
                      leaving London in late September and leaving Australia for the return journey in early February..
                      She was popular with passengers.  In December 1891 after arriving in  Melbourne, she was
                      sold to  the New South Wales Government for use as a reformatory. She was moored Sydney
                      harbour for the next twenty years.

                     PARRAMATTA (1866-1899),  1,521 tons, length 231ft, beam 38ft 2in, depth 22ft 8in  Of composite
                     construction (iron frame planked), built by Laing, Sunderland, as a passenger ship for Devitt & Moore for
                     its London to Sydney line.  Basil Lubbock describes the vessel as "practically an enlarged" LA HOGUE.
                     In the whole of her more than twenty years service with Devitt Moore she was on the London to Sydney
                     route.  The only change was that in the eighties she returned from Sydney via the more comfortable Cape
                     of Good Hope route instead of around Cape Horn.  Despite concern of her captain for the comfort of
                     passengers her passage times were good and often less than 89 days. In 1888, the vessel was sold to
                     Norwegian owners and after ten years by 1899 had disappeared from the registers.

                     CARLISLE CASTLE (1868-1899), 1,458 tons, length 229ft 8ins, beam 37ft 8in, depth 22ft 8in..
                     Of iron construction, built at the Blackwall yard, London, for Green & Co.'s Melbourne service. It
                     was the second iron ship built at this yard. She was never a fast ship despite a large sail plan.  In the
                     late eighteen seveties and early eighties, the passenger trade was moving to the steamships and the
                     CARLISLE CASTLE became a carrier of wool and grain. She was sold in the early nineties to
                     Captain J. Robertson.  In 1899, on a voyage from Liverpool and Glasgow to Fremantle, the vessel
                     was lost with all hands on a reef in the approaches to Freemantle on the.West Australian coast.       

                     HESPERUS (1873-1923), !,777tons, length 262Ft 2ins, beam 39ft 7in, depth 23ft 5in   Of iron
                     construction, built by Robert Steele, Glasgow,, for Anderson, Anderson & Co (Orient Line). In the
                     Spring of 1874, HESPERUS made her first voyage to Adelaide with 416 emigrants. She was fast
                     and handled well.  Her return journeys were by the Cape of Good Hope rather than Cape Horn.  
                     She was popular with passengers to Adelaide and Melbourne up to 1890   She was purchased in
                     1890, along with her sisiter ship HARBINGER, by Devitt  & Moore for their cadet  training scheme.
                     It was at this time that the ship made some of her best passages.  In 1891, HESPERUS reached
                     Sydney in 88 days, in 1892 she arrived at Hobsons Bay (Melbourne) from the Lizard in 71 days,
                     and in 1893 she reached Hobsons Bay from the Lizard in 72 days. In 1899, Devitt & Moore sold
                     the ship to the Russian Government to be used as a training ship. The vessel  was  renamed
                     GRAND DUCHESS MARIA NIKOLAEVNA and stationed in the Black Sea as a training ship.  
                     At the outbreak of World War I she was at a British port refitting, and was taken to Denmark and
                     spent the war at a mooring.  After the war she went through several changes of ownership and was
                     eventually broken up in Italy in1923.

                     MACQUARIE (EX MELBOURNE) (1875-1907) 1,857 tons, length 269ft 8ins, beam 40ft 1in,
                     depth23ft 7in.  Of iron construction, MELBOURNE was built at Green's Blackwall Yard for Green's
                     Blackwall Line. She was fitted out luxuriously for passengers by the standards of the time for the
                     Australian passenger trade. She was the last of the Blackwall passenger liners. A dry sea boat but
                     no record breaker.  Her maiden voyage to Melbourne from the Start took 86 days and her return
                     journey 104 days. On her second voyage, she reached Melboune in 77 days.  Lubbock comments
                     in SAIL  that this was the best she could do. .She was on the Melbourne run until 1887 when she
                     was purchased by Devitt & Moore  as a replacement for the PARRAMATTA in their Sydney
                     service.  She  was renamed MACQUARIE for her second of voyage to Sydney.  In1904, she
                     was sold to a Norwegian company which converted her into a timber carrier. She was sold again
                     after three years and she became a coal hulk in Sydney.  .   .                                                                    

                     HARBINGER (1876-1910), 1,585gt, length 253ft 5ins, beam 37ft 6in, depth 22ft 4in. Built of iron by
                     Robert Steele, Port Glasgow, for Anderson, Anderson & Co (Orient Line). There was accomodation for
                     32 first class passengers and she  could also carry 200 emigrants tween decks.  She was intended as a
                     replacement of th TORRENS in the Adelaide passenger trade but was put instead in the service to Sydney.
                     !n 1890, she was purchased along with HESPERUS by Devitt & Moore for that company's  cadet training
                     scheme. She moved to the Melbourne service and carried  cadets until 1897 when she was sold to Russian
                     owners. She was still on the Register until 1905.